Yob gang attacked rail passengers
PUBLISHED: 16:19 05 November 2008 | UPDATED: 15:40 16 August 2010
A GROUP of men who carried out random attacks on train passengers are facing jail. Six Crystal Palace fans appeared at Southwark Crown Court facing charges of violent disorder following an attack at Sydenham railway station on September 1 last year. Fou
A GROUP of men who carried out random attacks on train passengers are facing jail.
Six Crystal Palace fans appeared at Southwark Crown Court facing charges of violent disorder following an attack at Sydenham railway station on September 1 last year.
Four of them, Ashley White, 21, of Foxley Hall Higher Drive, Purley, Carl Thomas, 40, of Foxley Rd, Thornton Heath, Clive Taylor, 35, of Marion Rd, Thornton Heath and Darren Bush, 39, of Woodside Green, South Norwood, were found guilty last Friday after a three-week trial.
Two men Robert Kennett, 46, of St Anns Park Rd, Wandsworth and Andrew Spicer, 38, of Hurst Rd, Kennington, Ashford pleaded guilty before the start of the trial.
All six are to be sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on December 5. The jury of nine women and two men were unable to reach a verdict on window cleaner Mark Kirby, 37, after deliberating for 18 hours and 18 minutes.
This comes after ten other men were convicted in March and April for their part in the incident at 2.20pm that saw a large group of men attack passengers on two carriages of a train.
British Transport Police Detective Inspector Keith Bennett said the train was taking Charlton Athletic supporters to the game at Crystal Palace as well as ordinary members of the public including some children and the elderly.
He said: "A 24-year-old Charlton Athletic fan suffered a broken nose in the incident. Several other passengers were head-butted, punched and verbally abused during the fracas.The violence that ordinary members of the public were subjected to on the day in question was appalling."
Mick Everett, operations director, Charlton Athletic Football Club said: "This was an unprovoked and vicious attack on our supporters and members of the public."
Of the 16 men arrested, 12 pleaded guilty and four went to trial after being charged with violent disorder. Those already sentenced have been handed prison terms of between 24 and 40 months for what the judge described as "mob conduct at its worst". They've also been issued football banning orders preventing them from attending matches or travelling on the railways for up to 10 years on match days.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.