What should you do if are worried about a child’s welfare?

PUBLISHED: 16:56 27 March 2017 | UPDATED: 16:56 27 March 2017

'Keeping our children safe is everyones business

'Keeping our children safe is everyones business


Bromley Council have given out advice on the appropriate way to speak out

What to do if you are worried about a child?

- If you think that a child or young person under the age of 18 years old is being abused or neglected, please telephone Childrens Services on 020 8461 7373 / 7379 / 7026.

- Outside of office hours and at weekends and public holidays contact us on 0300 303 8671. If you are seriously concerned about a child’s immediate safety, contact the police on 999.

Bromley Council has announced it is working with the Department for Education (DfE) to raise awareness of what to do when worried about a child.

The message the council is sending is ‘keeping our children safe is everyone’s business’. And the main aim is to give members of the public confidence to act on their suspicions and make a report if they see or hear something that concerns them.

Following its support for Together, We Can Tackle Child Abuse – the campaign launched last year by DfE – the council will again be letting local people know what to do if they are concerned, through its website, posters and social media.

Peter Fortune, Bromley executive councillor for education and children’s services, said: “Sometimes, it’s difficult for people to speak out, but if you have a feeling that something’s not quite right, talk to Bromley’s social care team who can look into it. Every call counts - last year, 400,000 children in England were supported because someone noticed they needed help.

What happens after you report suspected abuse?

- In most cases, an investigation of concerns about a child leads to the provision of help or services to the child and his/her family.

- In extreme cases it could mean the removal of the child into the care of the local authority.

- In some cases it may lead to the development of a child protection plan in which all the agencies involved with the family work together to protect the child. The plan is co-ordinated by Children’s Social Care and led by a lead social worker.

“It is crucial that people contact our dedicated Safeguarding Team, or a social worker, if they suspect that a child is being abused or neglected. We understand people’s concerns about reporting, but it is likely that your report could form a part of a bigger picture. If we all involve ourselves now, we help to remove our children and young people from harm’s way.”

Are you worried about a child in the borough?

If you think it, report it. Visit:

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bromley Times