Waste4Fuel director to attend High Court trial following Orpington fires
PUBLISHED: 15:50 04 November 2013 | UPDATED: 15:50 04 November 2013
The owners of the Waste4Fuel site, in Orpington, have been ordered to appear at the High Court for trial following eight fires in as many months.
Company director Bryan Hughes failed to appear at a hearing at the High Court last week, but sent a letter agreeing to the Environment Agency’s submission to bring the date of the full court order trial forward.
The hearing was due to examine promises made to reduce fire risks on site, in Cornwall Drive. An inspection carried out by Environment Agency officers last month found works had not been completed by the agreed deadline of September 30, with the matter then referred back to the court.
Jon Griffin, the Environment Agency’s waste team leader, said: “It was very disappointing that director Bryan Hughes failed to appear at court to be held to account for his failure to comply with the High Court’s interim instructions.
“We are pleased however, that he has agreed to attend a full hearing quickly.”
Last month, Bromley and Chislehurst MP Bob Neill raised concerns to Environment Minister Dan Rogerson that the Environment Agency were unable to control the Orpington site.
He said: “I am concerned that the Environment Agency is dragging its feet and failing to get a grip of operations at this site, which leaves everyone else with a growing pile of smelly and unsightly waste.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.