Search

Warning over chip pan fires after dozens of injuries

PUBLISHED: 13:31 24 February 2015 | UPDATED: 13:31 24 February 2015

Fire engine

Fire engine

Archant

Around 40 people taken to hospital

Fire crews are warning people in Bromley and Bexley to take care when using chip pans and deep fat fryers.

The appliances caused 326 fires in London last year, injuring 80 people - more than half of whom were so badly hurt they had to spend a night in hospital.

Mark Hazelton, community safety group manager for London Fire Brigade, said: “Chip pans and deep fat fryers can be really dangerous as the oil can easily catch fire, so you should never leave them unattended - not even for a few minutes, or you could be risking your home, your property or even your life.

“Electric fryers or oven chips are much safer, but if you still use a chip pan or deep fat fryer you should make sure it’s never more than a third full with oil and that you don’t take your eyes off it.

“If your pan does catch fire, don’t move the pan, turn off the heat if you can, get out and call 999. Never put water onto a flaming chip pan as it creates a huge fireball.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times