TV shame pub serves up seconds
PUBLISHED: 18:10 01 October 2008 | UPDATED: 11:37 12 August 2010
A PUB slammed in a BBC programme for its terrible food hygiene is due to reopen after it was refurbished and new kitchen staff were hired. In BBC1 s Rogue Restaurants programme, aired on July 31, food was shown to be dropped on a wet, dirty floor and pla
A PUB slammed in a BBC programme for its terrible food hygiene is due to reopen after it was refurbished and new kitchen staff were hired.
In BBC1's Rogue Restaurants programme, aired on July 31, food was shown to be dropped on a wet, dirty floor and placed back on customers' plates at the Crooked Billet Harvester pub, in Southborough Lane, Bromley.
Last Sunday, The Crooked Billet closed for refurbishment and the mayor of Bromley, Denise Reddin, is due to officially re-open the pub next Monday at midday.
A food safety inspector from Bromley council inspected the pub before the programme and recommended that food storage, wall and floor surfaces, wash hand basins and the general cleanliness was improved.
A spokesperson from Bromley council said: "Subsequent re-visits over the past weeks by our officers have shown that the company are carrying out works to our satisfaction."
The pub now has a new manager, Mark Heather, a new kitchen manager and kitchen team.
The kitchen, restaurant and bar areas are all being refreshed, and there will be new lighting, furniture and curtains throughout.
A Harvester spokesperson said: "Food safety is our top priority and responsibility.
"Prior to the programme being shown, we completed a comprehensive, detailed internal investigation and immediately put in place a new, experienced manager.
"We also undertook a thorough review of the rigour of our processes and procedures, as well as additional detailed and independent audits of the kitchen practices in the restaurant, to reinforce the high standards of hygiene and food safety we require.
"The new manager, Mark, and his team are now looking forward to welcoming customers through the doors when it reopens on Monday to experience the new look restaurant for themselves."
Mr Heather said: "We are confident that the extensive makeover will prove to be fantastically popular with our guests and we look forward to welcoming them.
"We are putting a great deal of effort into creating a fresh, warm and welcoming environment that diners and drinkers alike will want to return to time after time."
During the opening ceremony a cheque for £500 will be presented to the mayor's charity, Harris HospisCare, which provides free palliative care around the clock to patients across Bromley.
A spokesperson for the Food Standards Agency said: "Floors aren't clean, so any food that's dropped on the floor, even it makes contact for just a fraction of a second, could be covered in dirt and germs when you pick it up."
Food poisoning is a common, usually mild, but occasionally deadly illness which happens when someone eats food or drink that is contaminated with bacteria, or its toxins.
It is estimated that up to 5.5 million people in the UK are affected from food poisoning each year.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.