Teenager jailed for ‘despicable’ 13 inch knife attack in Queensmead Recreation Ground

PUBLISHED: 09:59 28 March 2017 | UPDATED: 10:09 28 March 2017

Jordan Johnson-Ogunkoya

Jordan Johnson-Ogunkoya


His victim was left with ‘life-changing injuries’ according to police

A violent teenager who stabbed a youth with a foot-long knife on Halloween three years ago has been jailed.

Jordan Johnson-Ogunkoya, of Turnham Road, Brockley was 16-years-old when, unprovoked, he attacked his victim in Queensmead Recreation Ground, Bromley, nearly killing him.

In court, the judge presiding over the case described a 13-inch knife used in the attack as a “shocking weapon”.

Police and paramedics were called to the park on Glassmill Lane just before midnight on October 31 2014, after reports two teenagers had been stabbed after a large group of youths launched an attack.

A 17-year-old boy suffered serious injuries to his abdomen, and a 16-year-old boy was found with stab wounds to his leg.

Both were taken to hospital, and the 16-year-old was discharged within a few hours.

But the older of the two remained in hospital for over a month.

The attack had severed his bowel in two places and damaged his renal artery. Despite losing a lot of blood, he survived the ordeal, but suffered life changing injuries.

Police officers launched a large scale investigation in the wake of the attack arresting 17 male teenagers.

Johnson-Ogunkoya was revealed as the main suspect, and arrested on June 25 2016.

He was charged with attempted murder two days later, but fled to Jamaica after being released from court where he was appearing in respect to another case.

He was arrested at Gatwick Airport on December 29 that year, and in February admitted a charge of grievous bodily harm with intent.

On Friday, he was jailed for eight years.

His Honour Judge Bate warned the 19-year-old currently posed “a high risk of harm”. He added: “We see this all too often, young man carrying knives routinely, with grievous or fatal consequences and young lives are left utterly ruined.”

Det insp Charles Clare, from Bromley CID, said: “This was a despicable, cowardly and wholly unprovoked attack which has had a significant impact on the life of both the young victim and his family. He very nearly died. There was nothing at all to connect the victims to Johnson-Ogunkoya, they were simply the victims of mistaken identity.

“The investigation was exceedingly challenging and I am delighted we have secured this conviction. I would like to thank the bravery of the victim and his family and hope this result allows them to move forward.”

All the other teenagers arrested were released with no charge in relation to this incident.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bromley Times