Suspect told he must face trial in Poland
PUBLISHED: 18:04 14 May 2008 | UPDATED: 09:06 12 August 2010
A POLISH assault suspect who went on the run for a year after being released on bail in the UK has lost his extradition fight. Daniel Bankowski, 24, allegedly beat up a man in his homeland, smashed up his car and threatened to kill him. Shortly after th
A POLISH assault suspect who went on the run for a year after being released on bail in the UK has lost his extradition fight.
Daniel Bankowski, 24, allegedly beat up a man in his homeland, smashed up his car and threatened to kill him.
Shortly after the 2004 assault he fled to Britain and settled in Bromley.
The valet was first arrested on a European warrant in March last year when he was living in Downham Way.
Bankowski was brought to City of Westminster Magistrates' Court in custody but persuaded a judge he could be trusted on bail.
He failed to turn up to a hearing the following month and another warrant was issued for his arrest.
He has been in custody since April 10 this year when the extradition squad caught up with him for a second time.
Melanie Cumberland, for the Polish authorities, told the court last Thursday: "The victim was left with a wound to his lip and temple.
"Two days later he threatened the same man with a beating, taking his life and burning his car."
Since his first appearance, Bankowski has had a baby with his fiancée and moved with them to Holmshaw Close, Sydenham, where he lives with his parents.
He claimed his return would breach his human right to family life.
Asked to explain why he breached bail, he said: "I was ready to come to court and when I thought I'm going to be extradited I just couldn't stand up and go."
Rejecting his plea, District Judge Caroline Tubbs said: "I find no human rights bars and accordingly order your extradition in custody."
Bankowski faces trial for assault, criminal damage, threats and a further charge of forging a military service card.