Search

Sunlight reflects off mirror to set Orpington house on fire

PUBLISHED: 09:48 04 July 2016

Fire

Fire

2010 Getty Images

London Fire Brigade has issued a warning to the public

Part of the first floor of a two-storey home in Orpington was damaged by fire on Sunday, after sunlight set the house alight.

The light reflected off a mirror in the bedroom, causing the blaze on Uplands Road at around 7pm.

A spokesperson from London Fire Brigade said: “These sort of fires are not as rare as you would think and shows these types of fires are not an urban myth.

“Crystals, glass ornaments and items such as dressing table mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight.”

There were no injuries from the fire, which happened while no one was home.

LFB has issued its top three tips for preventing this type of fire.

They are:

• Keep mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from the sunny sills

• Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat.

• If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the Brigade.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times