Still no answers about PRUH death
The family of an 86-year-old woman who died after having a fall at hospital are horrified that their complaints have still not been dealt with nine months after her death.
Ruth Seel had made a “miraculous recovery” after her admission for suspected pneumonia to the Princess Royal Hospital in September last year.
However, two days before she was due to be discharged she fell, injuring her head.
Her daughter, Shirley Mazera, said: “She never made a full recovery after that. We have written to the hospital because we believe they were negligent.”
Mrs Seel, from Addiscombe, was in the early stages of Alzheimer’s and her family were concerned about her wandering off alone and getting lost or falling as she was unsteady on her feet.
They believe the hospital may have acted negligently as staff have so far been unable to tell them how the fall happened.
Ms Mazera added: “We don’t know if she was in her chair or in her bed and the rails were not up.”
MP for Croydon, Gavin Barwell, wrote to South London Healthcare Trust, which manages the hospital, to ask if an allegation is true that the delay is because a consultant has refused to comply with the investigation.
Mr Barwell originally wrote to the Trust in October. They told him they would keep him updated but, having heard nothing since, he wrote again last week.
Asked whether the allegation about the consultant is true, on Monday a Trust spokesperson refused to comment but added: “We are currently investigating the complaint regarding Mrs Ruth Seel.
“We are aware that this investigation has taken longer than expected and we apologise for any distress this may have caused Mrs Seel’s family.
“It is not acceptable for an investigation to take this long and we are working to ensure that it is speedily resolved. We will continue to update the family regularly.”