Southern Rail cancels hundreds of services from today
PUBLISHED: 08:40 11 July 2016 | UPDATED: 08:40 11 July 2016
It follows months of dispute between the rail firm and the RMT Union
More than 340 trains are set to be cancelled from today (Monday), as Southern Rail introduces its revised timetable.
The rail firm has been battling staff shortages and industrial action due to an ongoing dispute with the RMT Union over staff roles.
Services in Tonbridge and Ashford are set to be affected.
Reduced services from Tonbridge toward Victoria will be running, with further reductions between Ashford International and Hastings.
In Bromley, commuters travelling through Beckenham Junction, Anerley, Birkbeck, Crystal Palace, Penge and Sydenham will be able to use Southeastern services.
There will be no Southern trains running from Birkbeck towards Crystal Palace.
Last week the rail workers union RMT offered to put an end to industrial action, following the dispute over the introduction of driver-only trains.
In an open letter to Govia Thameslink Rail, the company in charge of Southern Rail, RMT general secretary Mick Cash said: “The RMT will suspend calling any further industrial action for the next three months if you will also suspend your proposals for a similar period.”
A spokesman for GTR said: “We welcome the offer of talks and a new approach from the RMT. We have been trying to actively engage them for the past six months. We welcome the suggested suspension of industrial action, but we don’t need three months to resolve this. We are ready to sit down with the RMT and discuss a way forward that we believe that they, our employees and customers will welcome, and can bring an end to this dispute.
The revised timetable has been planned for the rest of the working week, with an updated timetable expected for next week.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.