Soccer louts escape jail after Tube brawl

PUBLISHED: 16:37 17 March 2010 | UPDATED: 09:27 12 August 2010

FOUR drunken football fans who took part in a violent brawl on a busy Tube platform have been spared jail.

FOUR drunken football fans who took part in a violent brawl on a busy Tube platform have been spared jail.

Manchester United supporters Kieran and Michele Carey, 26 and 24, and Millwall fans Dean Maxwell, 25 and Dean West, 21, clashed at Euston Station, on their way home from away matches in London on November 8, 2008.

The four defendants, alongside three other members of the Carey family - father Stephen, 51, brother Liam, 20, and cousin Ryan, 29 - were due to stand trial at Southwark Crown Court last week.

But the affray charges were dropped after the Crown accepted pleas from Michele and Kieran Carey and the two Millwall fans, which included Mr Maxwell, a council housing official of Oakridge Road, Downham, Bromley, to a lesser charge of threatening violence.

Judge Peter Testar said the defendants could have faced stiffer punishment had the prosecution not accepted their pleas to threatening behaviour.

He added: "They might well have been guilty of actual violence, which might well have attracted appropriate sentences for the offences of violence which some say they could have been charged with.

"These young men were behaving in a way which was rowdy before the train stopped and in a way which could have been alarming to members of the public, including elderly people and children."

Prosecutor Mark Gadston told the court that both groups had been drinking heavily on their way home from away matches. An off-duty police officer on board the train saw the rowdy Carey family singing abusive songs before the chanting stopped and fighting suddenly broke out when West boarded the train at Euston.

Tarmac layer Michele Carey, of Luton, was handed a three month prison sentence suspended for two years and told to carry out 60 hours of unpaid work. The three other defendants, Maxwell, West, of Maidstone, and Keiran Carey, of Luton, were each told to complete 80 hours of unpaid work. All charges against Stephen Carey and Liam Carey, also from Luton and Ryan Carey, of Northampton, were dropped after each agreed to be bound over in the sum of £3,500 to keep the peace for a year.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bromley Times