Search

Smoke alarm credited with saving Bromley family

PUBLISHED: 14:02 21 April 2014 | UPDATED: 14:02 21 April 2014

The extent of the damage from the Bromley Grove house fire on April 13.

The extent of the damage from the Bromley Grove house fire on April 13.

Archant

A family have been saved by their smoke alarm in Bromley after the kitchen caught alight and produced heavy smoke throughout the downstairs and stairway.

The 999 call handlers gave vital advice to the family from Bromley Grove to stop the smoke from coming into the bedroom where they waited for fire crews to arrive.

Bob Davis, the crew manager who attended the scene, said: “There was heavy smoke in the house and we quickly pitched a ladder up to the bedroom and rescued a man and two women.

“They were suffering from a small amount of smoke inhalation and were treated by London Ambulance Service (LAS) crews.

“It was fantastic team work between our 999 control officers and firefighters but the real hero was the working smoke alarm which woke the family and helped save their lives.

“It’s vital that everyone has at least one working smoke alarm and test it regularly.”

The cause of the fire was believed to be accidental.

Fire crews from Bromley and Beckenham attended the scene.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bromley Times