Sex attack victim demands Ken Clarke meeting
A sex attack victim who found herself at the centre of a political storm after tearfully questioning the Justice Minister on live radio, has demanded a meeting with him and says his plans will not work.
Gabrielle Browne, who was assaulted by Beckenham resident Mohammed Kendah in 2003, accused Ken Clarke of being “belligerent” after he spoke to her on Radio 5 live last week.
Mr Clarke, who wants to slash sentencing for early guilty pleas for rapists, spoke of “serious rape” as opposed to an alternative, which led to calls for his resignation.
Speaking to the Times, mother-of-two Mrs Browne said: “He thought he knew all the answers. He has supposedly spoken to victims in the past but he did not listen to me at all.
“He was pompous, belligerent and totally full of himself. Ken Clarke needs to spend some time talking to me. I want to engage with him.”
The Ministry of Justice said on Monday that Mr Clarke had no plans to hold a public meeting with any rape victims, as many have called for during the past week.
Kendah, 24, was recommended for deportation to his native Sierra Leone in 2009 after committing a robbery in Penge in July the same year, just days after being released from jail for attempting to rape Mrs Browne as she was jogging in a Camberwell park.
He had waited 688 days before entering a last-minute guilty plea for her assault and received a four-year sentence.
Mrs Browne, 45, said: “Ken Clarke spoke about avoiding the trauma of giving evidence in court but having prepared myself, I was ready to speak and not being able to was hurtful in the end.
“Cutting the sentence will not be a deterrent at all.
“The only correct place for offenders is prison for the protection of the public.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.