Proud day for GCSE pupils
PUBLISHED: 15:20 27 August 2008 | UPDATED: 10:22 12 August 2010
THE father of a teenager killed before he could sit his GCSEs picked up his son s predicted results on his behalf. Thousands of teens celebrated the climax of months of hard work but for Barry Mizen, father of Jimmy Mizen, 16, who was killed after bein
THE father of a teenager killed before he could sit his GCSEs picked up his son's predicted results on his behalf.
Thousands of teens celebrated the climax of months of hard work but for Barry Mizen, father of Jimmy Mizen, 16, who was killed after being attacked in a bakery in Lee in May, last Thursday (21) was a more sobering affair.
Mr Mizen, 56, collected Jimmy's coursework results from his son's school St Thomas More Catholic Comprehensive School, Eltham, and said he was 'proud' of his eight passes.
Jimmy, who had eight siblings, died the day after his 16th birthday before he could take his exams but he was awarded passes based on his coursework.
His father said: "We're very proud of the amount of work he put into this and we're very proud of what he's achieved.
"It's very painful. He should have been here himself with his friends. I think it's a very long process. We're not looking for closure, we're learning to live with this."
Friends of Jimmy were invited to a special party later in the day at the Mizen home to celebrate their results
Meanwhile, some schools across the boroughs reported their best ever results including comprehensive Hayes School, Hayes, and girls' independent school, Bromley High, Bickley.
Year 11 co-ordinator at Hayes School, Charlotte Allman, said: "It was fantastic to see the looks on the students' faces as they collected their exam results. Students were overjoyed and even amazed at how well they had done but really they deserved the success as they are a great year group who worked incredibly hard".
Pupils at grammar school St Olave's, Orpington, were also 'thrilled' with their 'phenomenal' results.
In Maths, 81 per cent of pupils got A*s while the remaining 19 per cent achieved grade As.
Across the country, the pass rate climbed from 97.9 per cent to 98.2 per cent. But there were fewer entries than in previous years indicating that pupils were opting to take fewer exams to maximise their chance of getting good grades in subjects they are good at.
General Secretary of the Association of School and College Leaders, John Dunford, said: "Schools are concentrating on quality rather than quantity. They recognise it is of no benefit to a pupil to do 10, 11 or 12 GCSEs, better to do eight or nine GCSEs and get good grades."
But that was not the case at Bexley Grammar School, Welling where two students gained 12 A* grades and another 11 gained at least 9 A* grades. The average result for every single entry was half way between a B and an A.
Head teacher at Bexley Grammar, John Welsh, said: "We had 222 students taking 2,560 examinations between them, which averages to 11.5 GCSEs each and they managed to gain 52 per cent of those at grades at A* or A.
"It was wonderful to share in the joy felt by our students as they received their GCSE results yesterday. Many members of staff came in to share the moment and there were very few disappointments."