Pregnant mother rushes son to hospital after Tangle Toy scratches his eye
PUBLISHED: 13:08 21 September 2017 | UPDATED: 13:08 21 September 2017
The Works toy store says it has never had a report of a Tangle Toy breaking before
A heavily pregnant mother had to rush her young son to hospital after a toy she bought in Bromley snapped and scratched his eye.
Sarika Chuni took her seven-year-old son Rahul to Moorfields Eye Hospital in July after he was injured by Tangle Toy she had bought him from The Works store in Bromley.
The West Kingsdown mother said: “The idea of the toy is you can stretch and twist it, I’d bought it for Rahul about a month before.
“He was playing with it, taking it apart and putting it back together, when one of the nodules that connects its parts hadn’t been filed down properly.
“He must have lifted his arm while he was playing with it and that’s when it scratched him.
“My son is on the spectrum and the toy was a relief for him as it gave his hands something to do.
“Getting up to London caused him a lot of stress, he was clinging on to me as he does not like public transport, the whole thing has really put him out of his routine.
“I just think other parents should be warned about the dangers of this toy, it could have done a lot more damage.”
Doctors at the specialist hospital revealed young Rahul, now eight-years-old, had suffered a scratched cornea from the incident, but two months on from the appointment, the mother-of-five says she has had no response from The Works.
She said: “Since I put the complaint in nobody has got back to me, I have had to call them each time and they say they will ring me.
“I’ve since given birth but there has been no phone call, no letter or e-mail.”
A spokesperson from The Works said discussions between the company and Mrs Chuni had taken place, saying: “This is clearly a very upsetting issue for Mrs Chuni and so we have remained in constant contact with her as we look into her complaint.
“Over 2.5 million Tangle Toys are sold every year and the product is subject to stringent testing by its manufacturers.
“The safety of the products we sell is of the upmost importance to us and having sold over 300,000 of the product since 2012 this is the first complaint that we have ever received.
“We have asked Mrs Chuni to send the product back to us so we can complete a full investigation with the manufacturers but we have yet to receive it.
“We would like to continue to work closely with Mrs Chuni and the investigators in order for us to fully understand how the injury occurred.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.