Play-off hero Kevin Phillips leaves Crystal Palace
PUBLISHED: 15:58 09 January 2014 | UPDATED: 15:58 09 January 2014
PA Wire/Press Association Images
Veteran striker Kevin Phillips has left Crystal Palace less than a year after scoring the penalty that secured promotion for The Eagles.
The 40-year-old made five substitute appearances this season becoming one of the oldest players to ever appear in the Premier League, though he last played during Palace’s 4-1 defeat against Fulham in October.
In a press conference today, manager Tony Pulis confirmed Phillips’ six-month contract had expired and said the striker was keen to move closer to his home in the Midlands.
Phillips has played for eight clubs during his career, which began at Watford, and scored an extra-time penalty against his old club to put Palace into the Premier League during the play-off final at Wembley in May last year.
Pulis also confirmed midfielder Jimmy Kebe has joined Leeds in the Championship for the rest of the season, before stating he is on the hunt for new faces this month.
Speaking to the club’s website, he said: “I’ve been linked with about 40 different players and this is the window – you get linked with everyone.
“I’m looking for players that are available. The important thing at this football club is that we bring players in who have got something to prove.
“I don’t want to be bringing players in if I can help it who just turn up and want to jog through six months.”
The Eagles are currently 18th in the league, and face an away trip to Tottenham on Saturday afternoon.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.