Penge food festival gets backing from Mayor of London Sadiq Khan
PUBLISHED: 14:47 04 July 2016
The Pengelicious team secured funding for Penge's first local fod fair
Penge’s first local food fair has been backed by the Mayor of London as part of a community programme.
Members of the Pengelicious team succesfully pitched to the Sadiq Khan’s community funding team to secure the final funding for the food fair at Penge Recreation Ground.
Local resident Mark Painter co-founded Penge Community CanTeen back in 2014 together with Jasper Wright.
Mr Painter said: “Penge High Street is hardly a beacon of healthy eating.
“Although we’re blessed with some great independent restaurants, it still has a very unhealthy fast-food culture.
“Penge Community CanTeen project is about taking all that great local home cooking and sharing it in a public space.
Starting out as an online forum, the project now has more than 500 members, now it is looking to organise the food festival on August 27.
More than 100 people had already backed the festival, where traders and residents can share their recipes.
Together the backers had raised more than £2,000 of a £3,110 target.
Pengelicious is one of 20 groups to receive funding from the Labour mayor.
Mr Khan said: “Our crowdfunding initiative is a chance for all Londoners to take part in the regeneration of their neighbourhoods from the grassroots up.
“Today I’m pledging support to an extraordinary range of local groups, for projects that will help strengthen their local communities and make London an even greater city.”