More than half of Londoners at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning
PUBLISHED: 11:42 25 March 2015 | UPDATED: 11:42 25 March 2015
Only 41 per cent have alarms
More than half London’s householders are putting themselves at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because they don’t have an alarm, a new survey has shown.
In the nationwide YouGov survey of almost 3,000 households, only 41 per cent of those in the capital who knew what carbon monoxide was said they had an alarm.
Just 39 per cent had domestic appliances which could emit carbon monoxide serviced regularly.
Gas appliances such as cookers, heaters and combi or central heating boilers can emit carbon monoxide, which has no smell. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal.
The national Gas Safe Register, which accredits gas engineers, recommends that homes have carbon monoxide alarms and that appliances should be serviced annually.
The Department of Health estimates that each year in England and Wales there are approximately 4,000 visits to hospital accident and emergency departments as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The south west had the lowest proportion of households with alarms, at 39 per cent. Yorkshire and the Humber and Wales both had the highest proportion at 54 per cent.
Andrew Thompson, vice president and general manager of alarm manufacturers Honeywell Analytics, which commissioned the research, said: “Londoners are not protecting themselves.
“If we are to avoid more deaths, there needs to be greater public awareness of the importance of installing fully-accredited and tested carbon monoxide alarms.”
MP Barry Sheerman, co-chairman of the all-party parliamentary carbon monoxide group, added: “I would urge any householders without carbon monoxide protection to contact a Gas Safe Registered tradesperson and have an alarm with a Kitemark fitted immediately.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.