Hit and run driver who killed dad was uninsured

PUBLISHED: 13:04 03 June 2010 | UPDATED: 11:19 12 August 2010

A DRIVER who knocked down and killed a cyclist during a high speed chase was not insured and did not have a licence, a court has heard.

A DRIVER who knocked down and killed a cyclist during a high speed chase was not insured and did not have a licence, a court has heard.

Andrew Carlisle, 35, hit banker and father-of-two Graham Thwaites, 51, after losing control of his Mitsubishi Shogun at 60mph, the Old Bailey heard on Tuesday.

He was allegedly 'jostling' with four rivals in a Vauxhall Vectra on Leesons Hill, Orpington, before the crash on September 18, 2008.

Asked if he did not stop because he was uninsured, Carlisle, from Mottingham, said "no, definitely not".

It is claimed that George Webb, 27, of Montbretia Close, Orpington, his cousin Shane Webb, 24, of Middleton Court, Dartford, David Cook, 24, of Saltwood Close, Orpington, and William Dennard, 24, of Ridgeway, Dartford, all followed Mr Carlisle after spotting him driving through St Mary Cray.

Carlisle said he saw George Webb holding a samurai sword and said he didn't stop because he feared he would be attacked.

But witnesses say they saw the Shogun swerving from side to side as if trying to prevent the Vectra getting past.

Carlisle said he lost control of his car after it was shunted by the Vectra and that he then went into the back of Mr Thwaites, who was cycling home after a day at Lloyds TSB in the City.

Mr Thwaites hit the bonnet and flew over the top of the car onto a wall, suffering fatal injuries.

Mr Carlisle abandoned his car and took a taxi home before handing himself in to police the next day.

He told officers: 'I didn't know what I was doing. Everything was just a blur from there on.

"I was panicking just for the simple reason I hit the cyclist and I was in fear of these blokes.

"I would definitely have stopped but at the time everything was panicked."

Asked if he saw the cyclist, Carlisle replied: "Not until the point where I actually hit him.

"I saw him rolling down the pavement. I just panicked. I knew I had hit the guy on the bike. I didn't want to hear that he had died."

Later in interviews Carlisle told police: "I know I should have stopped, I cannot forgive myself. I just panicked."

All the defendants deny manslaughter and death by dangerous driving.

The trial continues.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times