Gun factory owner jailed for 10 years

PUBLISHED: 17:03 01 April 2010 | UPDATED: 11:32 12 August 2010

A MAN who ran a gun conversion factory from his living room is part of a gang of criminals sentenced to a total of 43 years for firearms offences.

A MAN who ran a gun conversion factory from his living room is part of a gang of criminals sentenced to a total of 43 years for firearms offences.

Gary Waller, 41, of Seymour Villas, Anerley, was one of six men who were sentenced at Croydon Crown Court on Monday.

The court heard that an operation was launched by the Metropolitan Police Service's anti gun unit, Trident, in 2008 when they found that Waller was running a cottage industry, converting imitation and blank-firing handguns into lethal weapons in a small factory in the cupboard of his living room.

Officers recovered six firearms, including a converted Magnum handgun loaded with three rounds of ammunition, a converted Glock and nine rounds of ammunition, a Steyr machine pistol loaded with five rounds of ammunition, two converted Brocock Olympic 38s and a Magnum, which was in the process of being converted.

DC Carruth, the officer in the case, said: "Hopefully these lengthy prison terms given to the six individuals today will act as a deterrent to others who choose to be involved in the conversion, use and supply of firearms throughout London and the Home Counties.

"The success of this case and similar being undertaken by Trident's proactive teams continues to show the dedication and commitment of officers to target these dangerous individuals."

Waller was arrested in September 2008 along with five other men who made up a network of runners, middlemen, and buyers.

They were Marvin Welch, 29, of Selby Road, Anerley, Wesley Huggins, 25, and Adrian McNeish, 27, from south London, and Daren Yaw Opoku, 19, from New Addington and Cadele Clark, 25, from south west London.

Waller, who was sentenced to 10 years, pleaded guilty to all of his charges which included four counts of possession of firearms to endager life, possession of ammunition with intent to endanger life and possession of an imitation firearm with intent to endager life.

McNeish and Welch, sentenced to seven and five years respectively, also pleaded guilty and their charges included possession of a prohibited weapon and possession of ammunition.

Clarke, sentenced to eight years, Opoku, four years and Huggins, nine years, had opted to have trials but all three were convicted.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bromley Times