Football thugs caged after train violence erupts at derby clash
PUBLISHED: 18:20 30 April 2008 | UPDATED: 15:47 16 August 2010
A BANK manager and postal worker were both jailed for two years last Thursday for attacking Charlton fans and passengers on a crowded train. The pair were part of a 40-strong group of Crystal Palace supporters who boarded the train at Sydenham Railway St
A BANK manager and postal worker were both jailed for two years last Thursday for attacking Charlton fans and passengers on a crowded train.
The pair were part of a 40-strong group of Crystal Palace supporters who boarded the train at Sydenham Railway Station intent on ambushing their bitter south London rivals.
Women, children and pensioners were caught up in the violence as the yobs went on the rampage shortly before Crystal Palace hosted Charlton at Selhurst Park on September 1, last year. Passengers were kicked, punched and abused while one 24-year-old Charlton fan suffered a broken nose.
Bank manager Adam Henry, 29, of Alfristan Close, Dartford and Nicholas McGinty, 24, of Laurel Grove, Sydenham joined forces with the rampaging yobs in a 'planned, coordinated and premeditated ambush' on rival supporters. The gang 'made a beeline' for vulnerable passengers, hurling bottles of beer down the train carriage and screaming for Charlton fans to 'get out of their manor'.
Henry pleaded guilty to violent disorder and were both jailed for two years and banned from attending football matches for six years. Judge Stephen Robbins said: "You have given football a thoroughly bad name. This was an appalling and protracted incident, taking place as it did, not outside a football pitch, but on a train with innocent passers-by like children." The judge read out a letter from Henry in which the thug expressed his remorse. My lasting memory from September 1 is a man shielding his young son from the behaviour I was part of. It's a vision I see every night. I cannot imagine what the passengers on the train were going through." In March, Judge Robbins jailed seven men for 24 to 40 months after they pleaded guilty to violent disorder.
He also made football banning orders, preventing them from attending any football matches or travelling on public transport when Crystal Palace or England are playing.
A 16-year-old defendant, who cannot be named because of his age, was given a two-year community rehabilitation order and told to complete 150 hours unpaid work.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.