Football hooligans in dock for tube battle

PUBLISHED: 17:11 10 March 2010 | UPDATED: 09:35 12 August 2010

FOUR drunken football fans are facing jail for taking part in a mass brawl on a crowded London underground platform

FOUR drunken football fans are facing jail for taking part in a mass brawl on a crowded London underground platform.

Terrified train passengers looked on as rival groups of Manchester United and Millwall fans clashed at Euston station.

Both sets of supporters had been drinking heavily on their way back from away matches when they ran into each other on the evening of November 8, 2008.

Millwall fans Dean Maxwell, 25, from Bromley and Dean West, 21, from Maidstone and Manchester United supporters Kieran and Michele Carey, 26 and 24, from Luton all admitted threatening behaviour at Southwark Crown Court.

Judge Peter Testar bailed them ahead of sentencing, due to take place yesterday, but warned all that sentencing options including jail are open.

He said the defendants had consumed "heroic amounts of drink in most cases".

Kieran and Michele Carey, were charged alongside three other members of their family: father Stephen, 51, brother Liam, 20, and cousin Ryan, 29.

The charges against Stephen, Liam and Ryan Carey were dropped after each agreed to be bound over in the sum of £3,500 to keep the peace for a year.

Fighting broke out at around 6.20pm on November 8 on a tube train at Euston, as the Carey family made their way home to Luton from the Emirates Stadium, following Manchester United's 2-1 defeat by Arsenal.

West and Maxwell were returning south from Chester, where Millwall had earlier won 3-0.

Eyewitnesses, some with children, reported the fans singing football songs as they squared up before violence erupted.

The court heard that West and Maxwell are both already subject to football banning orders, with West receiving his ban for a pitch invasion. Maxwell, of Oakridge Road, Downham, Bromley, Kieran and Michele Carey, and West, from Maidstone, admitted threatening behaviour.

Stephen, and Liam Carey, of the same address, and Ryan Carey, of Henry Bird Way, Northampton, each agreed to keep the peace for 12 months, with forfeits of £3,500 each if they fail to keep their promise.

An eighth man, Manchester United fan Paul Gregory, 26, from Luton, who was with the Carey family, received a similar punishment at an earlier hearing.

Charges of affray against all the defendants were dropped.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bromley Times