Firefighters’ top three tips to avoid ‘beauty blaze’ after hair dryer causes explosion in capital
PUBLISHED: 15:27 30 June 2016 | UPDATED: 15:27 30 June 2016
London Fire Brigade has issued fire prevention advice
The London Fire Brigade is offering advice to London homeowners after a hairdryer caused an explosion last week.
A swinging door switched the hairdryer back on, and as it blasted hot air into the room in Kensington, an aerosol was warmed up to the point where it exploded, setting the room alight.
Head of Fire Investigation, Charlie Pugsley said: “While this is an unusual chain of events, it shows how important it is to not leave items like hair dryers and straighteners plugged in.
“Thankfully the resident was alerted to the fire quickly when the aerosol can exploded. Had he not been in, the fire could have quickly spread and this story could have had a very different ending.
“Smoke alarms also went off in the home, which also gave an extra warning of the blaze. I can’t stress how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your home. Not only are they your first warning that there is a fire, but if you are out, your neighbours might hear the alarm.”
The Brigade’s top three tips for avoiding a ‘beauty blaze’ are:
1. Hairdryers, hair tongs and straighteners can get extremely hot, so it’s very important to remember to switch them off and leave them to cool on a heat proof surface.
2. Shaving or make up mirrors should be kept away from direct sunlight, along with any canisters, such as deodorant or hairspray.
3. Candles need to be placed on a surface that can’t melt or catch fire, such as a ceramic plate. Always blow them out when you leave the room, and never leave them burning without supervision.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.