Search

Fire breaks out in Penge flat after cooking left to burn

PUBLISHED: 09:49 26 August 2016 | UPDATED: 09:49 26 August 2016

Fire

Fire

2010 Getty Images

Four fire engines were called to the scene on Thursday night

A woman has been treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in Penge on Thursday.

The blaze started after the resident of a flat in Evelina Road left some cooking unattended.

She was only aware of the fire after seeing smoke in the living room of the first-floor apartment.

Following the blaze, London Fire Brigade has issued a warning to the public.

A spokesperson for the brigade said: “You should never leave cooking unattended - if you have to leave the room or the house, turn the heat off.

“Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home and the safest option is to have those linked together.

“This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire in your home.”

Fire crews were called to the scene just after 7.50pm and brought the fire under control by 8.45pm.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times