Search

Families 'shocked' by decision to close Beckenham care home by end of the month

PUBLISHED: 11:09 04 August 2016 | UPDATED: 08:55 09 August 2016

Benedict House (Photo: Keith Larby)

Benedict House (Photo: Keith Larby)

Archant

News of the closure followed an inspection that rated the home as inadequate

A Beckenham care home is to close by the end of the month after an inspection by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) found it to be inadequate.

Families of the residents of Benedict House on Copers Cope Road have been left shocked by the decision to close and now face having to make alternative care arrangements.

The CQC’s report rated the home’s safety and leadership to be inadequate following an unannounced inspection on May 11 and 12.

Among the issues identified by inspectors were the failure to update risk assessments, a high turnover of nursing staff and the absence of a registered manager.

The effectiveness and responsiveness of care at the home were found to require improvement by the inspectors, while staff were found to be caring.

“We found that action had not always been taken to support people where risks to them had been identified and that the provider’s systems for monitoring the quality of the service were not operating effectively,” the report states.

“The provider was consistently failing to operate effective systems to assess, monitor and improve the quality and safety of care to people using the service,” inspectors added.

A source close to the care home confirmed it would close and said families had been shocked by the decision, adding that the residents’ relatives are being given support to make alternative arrangements.

Benedict House’s director, David Tossell, said the care home was no longer commercially viable, having operated at a financial loss for some time, and costs had increased due to ‘increased regulatory requirements’.

“The problem has been exacerbated by failing a number of CQC Tests,” he added.

“We are now working hard to ensure that all residents are relocated to everyone’s satisfaction, We will ensure the home is fully operational and the level of care fully maintained until the process is complete.”

Bromley Unite officer Onay Kasab commented: “From our point of view, it is another indication of why private providers should not be running essential services for the elderly, disabled and children.

“It is more than an irony that this has occurred in Bromley’s patch, as they are trying to shift all essential services to private providers and this is an example of its flaws.

“Services run in the public sector are accountable because they are run by the council, with councillors elected by the people. There is no accountability as far as the private sector is concerned.

“Even if Bromley Council are not running it, it happened on their patch. It has an impact on Bromley residents, and they should make sure it doesn’t happen again.”

Benedict House’s owners have been approached for comment.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists