Elderly couple injured in Beckenham retirement home fire

PUBLISHED: 16:47 17 April 2012

The two fires are not being linked

The two fires are not being linked


An elderly couple is in hospital after a chip pan caught fire in their retirement home flat in Beckenham.

An 89-year-old lady was injured after the fryer in her kitchen at Montague Lodge, in Rectory Road, burst into flames on Sunday (15) night.

The hot oil hit her hands and face when she tried to extinguish the fire with water.

Fire crews and ambulance teams rushed to the scene after a call at around 9.45pm.

The lady was treated for shock and smoke inhalation and taken to the Princess Royal Hospital.

Her husband, 88, was also taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation and shock.

The kitchen was not seriously damaged and retirement home managers sent a decorating team to repair the flat on Tuesday (17).

A Peverel Retirement spokesperson said: “The fire was contained within the kitchen, with smoke damage affecting the kitchen and lounge.

“Our on-site house manager was on hand to assist the emergency services.”

Cooking appliances are the leading cause of accidental fires in UK homes and nine people died as a result of chip pan fires in 2010-11.

Beckenham Fire Station watch manager Paul Bushell warned the public to use the fryers with caution.

He said: “The injuries could have been a lot worse. People should contact us for advice on how to handle deep fat fryers safely.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times