Search

Downham house fire “started by candle”

PUBLISHED: 16:38 29 September 2011

Police believe a candle started the fire

Police believe a candle started the fire

Archant

Firefighters believe a fire which damaged half of the first floor and part of the roof of a house was started by a candle.

Four fire engines and approximately 20 fire fighters were called to the fire in the terraced house in Downham Way, Bromley, yesterday (28), at 6.21am.

Watch Manager Graham Johnson said: “Early indications are that this fire could have been started by a candle. We urge people never to leave candles unattended and if you are using them to place them on a stable and heat resistant surface.”

The fire damaged around half of the first floor and a small part of the roof. It was brought under control by 7.19am.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times