Bromley Queen visit bid - secret talks with Royal Household
PUBLISHED: 12:03 27 October 2011
»Bromley is hopeful of a visit from the Queen as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations next year.
The Times can reveal council chiefs have been in discussions with the royal household since at least July in a bid to get the Queen to stop off in the borough as part of the celebrations.
Several meetings have taken place with council officials and according to an agenda for Monday’s council meeting, “significant progr- ess” had been made on the plans. But council bosses are remaining tight-lipped about the visit until an official announcement is made, expected to be early next year.
Residents planning street parties to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee said a visit from the Queen would be a great boost for the borough after experiencing massive celebrations for the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Royalist Jon Clarke, 45, from Beckenham, is organising a street party, on the double bank holiday which begins on Saturday, June 2 with holidays on the following Monday and Tuesday.
He said: “We would love her to visit. It would be great if we could get her here as she can’t be everywhere. It would be wonderful.
“It would make a lot of children very happy. It would make the adults happy too. Beckenham was a hotbed of street parties during the Royal Wedding. We organised one for 65 households.”
Claire Barnes, 41, of Reed Avenue, Orpington, is planning another street party after organising a successful one for the Royal Wedding. She said: “The visit would be a great boost for Bromley. It is nice that she bothers. She is no spring chicken and many people her age wouldn’t bother. It is very admirable.”
The mayor’s office is due to work with the council to ensure that events are co-ordinated across the borough.
A royal spokesman would not discuss the Bromley bid but said: “The Queen’s official programme will be announced in due course.”
The council refused to comment.