Search

Bromley: Potentially fatal botulism toxin found in jar of olives

The toxin which causes the potentially lethal illness botulism has been discovered in a jar of olives in Bromley.

Paralysis normally starts in the face before spreading to the limbs and severe forms can affect breathing muscles, causing respiratory failure.

Bromley’s food safety team has warned residents not to eat a batch of the brand of Divini di Chicco Francesco, after one person fell ill from eating from a contaminated jar.

The Italian make is not stocked in mainstream supermarkets but is more likely to be found in delicatessens and farmers’ markets.

The jar contains the Bella Di Cerignola olive and the batch’s lot number is 161/11.

For more information contact the Food Standards Agency on 0207 276 8448 or foodincidents@foodstandards.gsi.gov.uk.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times