Bromley Police issue tips on avoiding pick-pockets after town centre thefts
PUBLISHED: 15:37 28 November 2013 | UPDATED: 15:47 28 November 2013
A spate of pick-pocket incidents in Bromley town centre has led local police to issue a series of tips on how to keep your personal items safe.
Three people have been pick-pocketed in the area during the last few days, and extra patrols are taking place in order to target thieves and provide crime prevention advice for shoppers.
Police suggest taking the following precautions:
- Carry your bag close to you with the clasp facing inwards. Keep it zipped up, and make sure your wallet or purse can’t be seen. Don’t carry large amounts of cash.
- When at a bar, restaurant or cafe keep your belongings safe. Keep bags where you can see them but out of reach of passers by. Use bag hooks under tables if they are available.
- If you use your mobile phone on the street be aware of your surroundings whilst you’re on the phone and after your call has ended.
- Spread your possessions about - keep your mobile phone separate from your purse, and your keys separate from your credit card.
- Beware when using cash dispensers. Criminals target people when using these machines.
- Cover up any expensive jewellery and, if you must carry other valuables, be discreet.