Bromley family saved after 999 call
PUBLISHED: 12:40 08 October 2015 | UPDATED: 12:40 08 October 2015
TONY GAY at email@example.com
Life saving chat saved a mother and her two children.
A fire this morning left a mother and her two children trapped inside their home.
The family were alerted to the fire by their fire alarm, and called the fire brigade at 5:52am.
Brigade control officer Tom Stibbards gave vital advice to the woman, who was trapped inside a bedroom with her children.
Mr Stibbards told the woman to put bedding in front of the door to stop smoke entering, and open a window to let fresh air in.
He then stayed on the phone with the woman until firefighters arrived, the fire was then under control by 6:38am
Bromley Crew Manager Stuart Chessun said: “When firefighters arrived the home was full of thick black smoke which would have made it very difficult for the woman and children to escape safely.
“We found them in the bedroom unhurt and fire crews in breathing apparatus led the family to safety.
“The fire survival guidance the control operator gave helped save their lives. It allowed crews to carry out a great rescue by pitching a ladder against the bedroom window and bringing them to safety.”
Five fire engines and 31 firefighters and officers from Woodside, Lee Green, Bromley and Beckenham attended the incident.
The fire is believed to have been caused by a faulty extractor fan.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.