Search

Bromley Council helps raise awareness of a common cause of food poisoning

PUBLISHED: 18:00 10 June 2014

Bromley Council is working with the Food Standards Agency (FSA) to raise awareness of a food bacteria.

Campylobacter, often found in raw chicken, is the most common cause of food poisoning in the UK.

Research shows that many people wash raw poultry before cooking it which can spread the bacteria onto hands, work surfaces and clothing, where it can be transferred to other foods.

Cllr Tim Stevens said: “Unfortunately, many people don’t realise how easy it is to inadvertently cause food poisoning in the home simply by washing raw poultry before cooking it. The FSA has produced a leaflet entitled Don’t wash raw chicken which is available upon request from Bromley’s food safety team.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times