Bromley caught by Basingstoke Town after 2-1 loss on Saturday

PUBLISHED: 11:26 11 February 2013 | UPDATED: 11:26 11 February 2013

Danny Waldren hits a penalty.

Danny Waldren hits a penalty.


Bromley FC fell to first-half goals against rivals Basingstoke Town on Saturday, with a 2-1 loss meaning the sides drew level on points.

The home crowd were silenced after just four minutes as goalkeeper Joe Welch could do little about Simon Dunn’s low drive finding the bottom corner.

A dream start turned into an even better 45 minutes for Basingstoke as they continued to dominate, testing Bromley’s aerial prowess with a series of corners and free-kicks.

Just before the break The Ravens were stung again as Dunn popped up again to chip the ball calmly over Welch and double the visitors lead.

More pressure was piled on Bromley after the break, but with 73 minutes gone Sanchez Ming was brought down by the opposing goalkeeper and the resultant penalty offered a life-line.

Danny Waldren stepped up to confidently dispatch the spot-kick straight down the centre of the goal and bring the score to 2-1.

Counter attacks were flowing from Bromley after they scored, and chances went begging for Ali Fuseini and Max Noble as they chased an equaliser.

But time ran out and the visitors took all three points, bringing them up to 17th place - just two places behind Bromley in 15th, though goal difference separates the two teams.

Bromley next face Boreham Wood at Hayes Lane on Saturday from 3pm, after travelling to Staines Town on Tuesday evening.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bromley Times