Boy scarred for life by malfunctioning shower

PUBLISHED: 17:34 23 March 2015 | UPDATED: 17:34 23 March 2015

Iyanu's injuries

Iyanu's injuries


Serious scalding after water went from warm to seriously hot

A young boy has been scarred for life after a shower malfunctioned and scalded him.

Iyanu Stephens, six, from Bromley, was left with blistered skin on his neck and chest after the water temperature suddenly became fiercely hot as he washed before bed.

His mother Julia, 39, called on manufacturer Triton to carry out a full investigation into what went wrong in order to prevent another person being hurt.

Triton admitted liability over the incident after Ms Stephens instructed law firm Slater and Gordon to launch legal action.

The mother-of-three, a self-employed dressmaker, said: “I just turned my back for a moment when I heard Iyanu scream. There were jets of steam coming from the shower nozzle.

“I could see straightaway that he was badly scalded. His skin almost immediately began to go red and blotchy.

“I’m first aid trained so I know how to treat burns. I put him under cold water straightaway, covered the wound and took him to hospital. Had I not been within earshot and treated the wounds so quickly I think it would have been far worse.”

Ms Stephens said she had complained in March 2013 to the housing association that the shower was suddenly going cold. The fault was diagnosed as being a broken thermostat, which was changed.

But within days of the repair the fault re-emerged – but this time with the warm water suddenly becoming hot.

After the incident the shower was sent to Triton for inspection, but the manufacturer said it could not find it.

“When I heard that I was angry,” Ms Stephens said.

“Losing it is totally unacceptable.”

Her lawyer Sarah Davidson added: “This is an alarming incident. Iyanu, who was only five at the time, was left with quite serious scalding to his chest, which required hospital treatment and time off school.

“It is vital that the manufacturer finds out what went wrong with this shower and ensures anyone who may be affected by the fault is alerted to the danger. But a proper investigation may be hampered since they have lost the shower.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Bromley Times