Bob Neill pledges to keep fighting for TfL to takeover Bromley’s train services
PUBLISHED: 09:51 12 May 2017 | UPDATED: 09:51 12 May 2017
Earlier proposals were dismissed by the transport secretary this year
The Tory candidate for Bromley and Chislehurst at next month’s election has pledged to keep up the fight for a Transport for London expansion.
Earlier this year, cross party support from the mayor of London, MPs and councils backed a TfL takeover of some Southeastern services in Greater London and north west Kent.
Despite widespread backing, transport secretary Chris Grayling threw out the proposals, claiming the plans showed no sign of improving the service which is ranked second-bottom in the country for customer satisfaction.
Now Bob Neill, who was himself among those campaigning for the takeover, has said he will keep campaigning if re-elected on June 8.
The comments came after Labour’s leaked manifesto revealed the party was hoping to re-nationalise the railways in a bid to improve service reliable.
Mr Neill said: “I used to use British Rail as a commuter years ago, the services were unreliable and I’m completely opposed to the idea of bringing it back.
“What I do think is Transport for London should become far more integrated in our services once Southeastern’s franchise takes over.
“Awarding TfL the franchise is something I will still be arguing for, as our services need integration with the rest of London.”
Speaking after his decision in December, Mr Grayling said TfL’s business plan for a takeover did not offer extra capacity and was simply based on “a belief” that TfL could run the system more effectively.
Mr Grayling added TfL was “invited to be involved in developing” the next franchise when Southeastern’s franchise runs out at the end of 2018.
Voters go to the polls on June 8.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.