Beckenham thug admits role in brutal Croydon assault on Kurdish-Iranian student

PUBLISHED: 17:17 09 November 2017 | UPDATED: 17:17 09 November 2017


The attack left Reker Ahmed with life changing injuries

A Beckenham man has admitted taking part in a violent brawl that left a Kurdish-Iranian student with life-changing injuries.

Reker Ahmed, 17, suffered a fractured spine, a bleed on the brain and facial fractures following the incident in Croydon shortly after midnight on March 31.

Mr Ahmed was subjected to two beatings over the course of 16 minutes, when he and two friends got caught up in the fight.

On Thursday two men, George Walder, 23, and Lliam Neylon, 19 both from Croydon were both convicted of two counts of violent disorder for their involvement in the brawl at Croydon Crown Court.

A third Croydon defendant, Kurt Killick, 18, was convicted of one count of violent disorder, while the jury are still considering a further count of violent disorder and one of causing grievous bodily harm with intent against him.

Following the convictions, it can now be revealed that James Neves, 23, of Eastwell Close in Beckenham, pleaded guilty to a single charge of violent disorder ahead of trial.

During the trial, the jury heard that one of the attackers yelled “You are asylum seekers, you are refugees, you have to go back to your country” at Mr Ahmed and his friend when they told him they were from Iraq and Iran.

The subsequent fight was so violent that a female passer-by pleaded: “Stop. You’re killing him.”

Mr Ahmed was allegedly stamped on during the second assault in what was described by the prosecution as a “disgraceful episode of violence and thuggery”.

The victim was not called to give evidence, because when he awoke in hospital he remembered nothing of what happened.

He and his friends Hamo Mustafa and Dilshad Mohammed had been chatting to people in The Goat pub on Broom Road before the incident.

Mr Mustafa said they had been speaking to a group of five people near the pub when they were asked by one of the men where they were from.

He said that the group started the fight as soon as they knew they were from Iran and Iraq.

The defendants were all identified via CCTV footage running after Mr Ahmed towards Shrublands Avenue.

During the six-week trial, Jeremy Wainwright, defence counsel for Killick, warned the jury not to assume people were involved in the violence simply because they were present, or even if they appeared to run in the direction of Mr Ahmed.

He told the jury: “There is a common sense reason for saying there is a difference between chasing after somebody to cause them harm and following your friends down the road to see what’s happening.”

Neves, Killick, Walder and Neylon will be sentenced on a date yet to be set.

Three other defendants, Daryl Davis, 21, his sister Danyelle Davis, 24, and 24-year-old Kyran Evans, all from Croydon were all acquitted of two counts of violent disorder.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Bromley Times