Beckenham builder admits health and safety offences after man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in dry cleaners
PUBLISHED: 17:06 31 May 2016
Muhammad Javid Butt was found dead at Taniya Dry Cleaners in 2013
A builder in his 60s has been given a suspended prison sentence after building work resulted in the death of a business owner in Wandsworth Road.
Muhammad Javid Butt, 63, was found slumped against the wall of Taniya Dry Cleaners on October 5 2013.
Officers were called to the scene, where they noticed a strong smell of gas inside.
They left the drycleaners and Mr Butt, of Wensleydale Avenue, Ilford, to retrieve gas masks from their vehicle.
London Fire Brigade crews were called to help move Mr Butt outside before paramedics attempted to resuscitate him.
A post-mortem examination gave cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.
Tests of the property showed that the carbon monoxide levels were 10 times greater than the minimum level required to be toxic to humans.
Enquiries revealed the boiler’s external flume, used to ventilate fumes, had been cut back to about 5ft above the ceiling during building works undertaken by 6699 Limited.
Builder with the firm Keith ‘Bruno’ Morris’, 66, of Ackland House, Beckenham, admitted to cutting the the pipe to make it safer for the builders to work around.
The 66-year-old pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey on Friday, April 29 and was sentenced on Tuesday May 31 to eight months imprisonment, suspended for two years.
He must carry out 200 hours of unpaid community work and pay £1,000 in costs.
The company pleaded guilty to failure to plan, manage and monitor works, contrary to regulation 13(2) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 207 and section 33(1)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Sentencing for 6699 Limited will take place at the Old Bailey on Thursday, July 28.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.