Armed robber captured by the public in Bromley is jailed

PUBLISHED: 10:25 25 June 2015 | UPDATED: 10:25 25 June 2015

Marlon Noble

Marlon Noble


11 years for raider foiled as he fled Petts Wood bank on New Year’s Eve

A dangerous armed robber who carried out a series of raids on banks in South London has been jailed for 11 years after members of the public detained him as he left the scene of a crime in Bromley on New Year’s Eve.

Marlon Noble, aged 35, of no fixed abode, had previously pleaded guilty to 15 offences. These were: six counts of robbery, two counts of attempted robbery and seven counts of possession of an imitation firearm at the time of committing a robbery.

He was sentenced to 11 years for each robbery and five years for each firearm-related offence, to run concurrently on Wednesday, 24 June.

Most of the offences were committed against branches of TSB, Lloyds Bank and Santander. In each case, he entered the bank brandishing a firearm-shaped object wrapped in a plastic bag. He threatened staff and demanded cash. He repeatedly attacked the same venue in Clapham Common, Lambeth, causing significant distress to members of staff at the branch, leading to its closure for a short period of time.

In each case, there was little or no forensic evidence to identify the suspect.

Following an offence on December 31, 2014, in Station Square, Petts Wood, the suspect was seen running out of the bank and was detained by members of the public.

Subsequent enquiries by the Flying Squad led to the man’s identification and his connection to seven previous offences, by virtue of location of the venues, his physical characteristics, the use of an orange bag to conceal the weapon and telecoms data.

Noble was charged on Thursday, 1 January with 15 counts relating to robbery, attempted robbery and possession of an imitation firearm.

On Tuesday, 5 May, Noble pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey to all the charges against him.

Detective Constable Manveer Hanspal, of the Met’s Flying Squad, said: “Noble subjected the staff of TSB in Clapham to a prolonged campaign, threatening to shoot them on numerous occasions with what appeared to be a firearm. He repeatedly visited the same branch, causing untold distress to his victims and he showed total disregard for the impact his actions might have on staff at the bank.

“I would like to pay tribute to the staff at TSB whose evidence ensured that Noble could be charged with each offence he had committed. Further thanks must also be given to those members of the public who gave chase and detained Nobel outside Petts Wood railway station. Their actions are in the truest traditions of public spiritedness and displayed both immense bravery and courage worthy of recognition.”

Lambeth’s Borough commander, Chief Superintendent Richard Wood, said: “This is a great result which means a dangerous individual is now behind bars for a significant amount of time. My officers and I are committed to making Lambeth a safe borough to live and work in and I am pleased that someone who caused great distress to people in the borough is no longer at liberty to do so. I would like to thank my colleagues from the Flying Squad for their successful investigation and the members of the public in Petts Wood who detained this man.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Bromley Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Bromley Times