Search

It’s gone! Clearance of Waste4Fuel rubbish mountain ends today

PUBLISHED: 16:03 17 November 2017 | UPDATED: 17:17 21 November 2017

The now clear Waste4Fuel site, formerly home to 27,000 tonnes of rubbish

The now clear Waste4Fuel site, formerly home to 27,000 tonnes of rubbish

Archant

Around 27,000 tonnes of waste has been cleared from the site

A mountain of rubbish has been moved from an Orpington dumping ground, with the final clearance works ending today.

Work began to clear the 27,000 tonne tip on Cornwall Drive a year ago, and with the site now clear, the council has thanked residents for their patience.

Clearance work faced a temporary blip earlier this year when contaminated waste was discovered near the bottom of the pile.

The discovery in March meant the council’s original 20-week target clearance were put back, with the discovery meaning the council would need an extra £1.88million from government to complete the tidy-up.

Altogether, the clearance of the waste mountain, which became a regular spot for fires during its controversial history, came to around £4.5million, with most of the funds coming from government and the Environment Agency.

Colin Smith, leader of Bromley council, which contributed £572,608 toward the project, said: “This day clearly belongs to our long suffering local residents who have been so incredibly patient, trustful and supportive of the council throughout this difficult and complex process. To have delivered on our promise to get the site cleared for everyone has been a tremendous team effort all round and we share their delight.

Although there is still work to do on site, we can now look forward with optimism and work though the various ideas that have been raised for the site’s future, listening very carefully to what residents say, recognising the importance of its Green Belt status.”

Julie Foley, area manager for the Environment Agency, said “We understand how frustrating the situation has been for residents and thank them for their patience. We have worked hard with London Borough of Bromley and Veolia to get the site cleared, whilst helping to ensure there is no impact on the environment and local people.

“It had taken a long time to get to this point, but we and London Borough of Bromley have had to overcome a number of difficult funding, legal and technical problems. We had to make sure that the site was cleared but most importantly that we had to make sure it could never become a waste site again”.

Latest news

32 minutes ago

A man who committed a burglary while out on bail for threatening a family in a terrifying aggravated burglary in Bromley has been jailed.

Fresh calls for CCTV in a “no-go” park have been rebuffed ahead of the first anniversary of a teenager’s murder in Penge.

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood was lawfully killed when he was shot dead by a minister’s bodyguard, an inquest jury has found.

Friday, October 12, 2018

A new ‘Seni Lewis Award’ has been announced by the Metropolitan Police in memory of Olaseni Lewis, who died at a Beckenham hospital in 2010.

Friday, October 12, 2018

A councillor has rejected calls to “seize back” power from academies after one Penge school had test results scrapped by the government.

Most read

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bromley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bromley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24