Search

Chairman of St Olave’s resigns after A-level students controversy

PUBLISHED: 15:57 14 September 2017 | UPDATED: 15:57 14 September 2017

St Olave's Grammar School in Orpington

St Olave's Grammar School in Orpington

Archant

He said the resignation “is not related to recent concerns”

The chair of governors at an Orpington grammar school which gained controversy for withdrawing students’ A-level places has resigned.

Reverend Peter Galloway said the decision was “not related to recent concerns”, after St Olave’s Grammar School was threatened with legal action for withdrawing pulling some Year 12 students’ A-level places for failing to achieve B grades at the end of their first year of sixth form.

Making his resignation, Revd Galloway said: “It is with great sadness that I have tendered my resignation from the role of chair of governors for St Olave’s School.

“I would like to stress that this decision is not related to the recent concerns highlighted in the media. However, that situation has helped me to see that the role of Chair requires far more time and attention than I am presently able to give.

“The school and my fellow governors deserve a chair who is able to dedicate enough time and expertise to provide the guidance and support our community needs.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as chair of governors and I’m hugely grateful to all my colleagues for their professionalism and support.

“I wish St Olave’s, all its pupils and staff a bright, successful future.”

Amid pressure from solicitors, parents and ministers, the school reversed its decision last week, opting to let students return for Year 13 and remove the requirement for future years.

After the U-turn, a spokesperson from the school said: “Our aim as a school has been and continues to be to nurture boys who flourish and achieve their full potential academically and in life generally.

“Our students can grow and flourish, making the very best of their talents to achieve success.”

Dan Rosenberg, from Simpson Millar solicitors, who has been acting for the families, said he was “pleased the school has agreed to readmit the children and withdraw their policy”.

He added: “We would now expect all other schools with similar policies to do the same”

The school’s board of governors are expected to select a new chair by the end of the month.

Latest news

A man who committed a burglary while out on bail for threatening a family in a terrifying aggravated burglary in Bromley has been jailed.

Fresh calls for CCTV in a “no-go” park have been rebuffed ahead of the first anniversary of a teenager’s murder in Penge.

Saturday, October 13, 2018

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our Met Office video forecast.

Westminster terrorist Khalid Masood was lawfully killed when he was shot dead by a minister’s bodyguard, an inquest jury has found.

Friday, October 12, 2018

A new ‘Seni Lewis Award’ has been announced by the Metropolitan Police in memory of Olaseni Lewis, who died at a Beckenham hospital in 2010.

Friday, October 12, 2018

A councillor has rejected calls to “seize back” power from academies after one Penge school had test results scrapped by the government.

Most read

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bromley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bromley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24