May 19 2013 Latest news:
Kate Nelson, Acting News Editor
Tuesday, August 7, 2012
The toxin which causes the potentially lethal illness botulism has been discovered in a jar of olives in Bromley.
Paralysis normally starts in the face before spreading to the limbs and severe forms can affect breathing muscles, causing respiratory failure.
Bromley’s food safety team has warned residents not to eat a batch of the brand of Divini di Chicco Francesco, after one person fell ill from eating from a contaminated jar.
The Italian make is not stocked in mainstream supermarkets but is more likely to be found in delicatessens and farmers’ markets.
The jar contains the Bella Di Cerignola olive and the batch’s lot number is 161/11.
For more information contact the Food Standards Agency on 0207 276 8448 or firstname.lastname@example.org.