Search

Beckenham builder admits health and safety offences after man dies of carbon monoxide poisoning in dry cleaners

PUBLISHED: 17:06 31 May 2016

Muhammad Javid Butt who died in 2013

Muhammad Javid Butt who died in 2013

Archant

Muhammad Javid Butt was found dead at Taniya Dry Cleaners in 2013

A builder in his 60s has been given a suspended prison sentence after building work resulted in the death of a business owner in Wandsworth Road.

Muhammad Javid Butt, 63, was found slumped against the wall of Taniya Dry Cleaners on October 5 2013.

Officers were called to the scene, where they noticed a strong smell of gas inside.

They left the drycleaners and Mr Butt, of Wensleydale Avenue, Ilford, to retrieve gas masks from their vehicle.

London Fire Brigade crews were called to help move Mr Butt outside before paramedics attempted to resuscitate him.

A post-mortem examination gave cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tests of the property showed that the carbon monoxide levels were 10 times greater than the minimum level required to be toxic to humans.

Enquiries revealed the boiler’s external flume, used to ventilate fumes, had been cut back to about 5ft above the ceiling during building works undertaken by 6699 Limited.

Builder with the firm Keith ‘Bruno’ Morris’, 66, of Ackland House, Beckenham, admitted to cutting the the pipe to make it safer for the builders to work around.

The 66-year-old pleaded guilty at the Old Bailey on Friday, April 29 and was sentenced on Tuesday May 31 to eight months imprisonment, suspended for two years.

He must carry out 200 hours of unpaid community work and pay £1,000 in costs.

The company pleaded guilty to failure to plan, manage and monitor works, contrary to regulation 13(2) of the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 207 and section 33(1)(c) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.

Sentencing for 6699 Limited will take place at the Old Bailey on Thursday, July 28.

Latest news

12:00

They’ve kept 194 clean sheets for their country between them but which one of these five shot stoppers is England’s greatest goalkeeper of all time?

The Kent County Show on July 6, 7 and 8 is launching #dontloseyourbottle, a plastic recycling initiative in collaboration with Kent Wildlife Trust to encourage visitors to recycle their plastics at the show.

Yesterday, 12:00

Harry Kane dug England out of a hole and secured a last-gasp 2-1 win over Tunisia in their World Cup opener.

Yesterday, 15:31

Bromley Community First Responders (CFRs) presented a defibrillator to Oakland’s Primary Academy in Biggin HIll last week.

Yesterday, 10:00

Read our World Cup blog which will be featuring over the coming weeks. Ned Keating looks back at the big game on day five of the competition.

Yesterday, 09:16

Detectives are appealing for information following a burglary in Bromley and have released CCTV footage of a man they wish to identify.

Most read

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bromley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bromley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder