Search

Backlash over refusal to build Bullers Wood School

PUBLISHED: 16:32 29 January 2018 | UPDATED: 08:58 30 January 2018

A march against the decisions took place yesterday. Picture: Lucy Scala Photography

A march against the decisions took place yesterday. Picture: Lucy Scala Photography

Archant

Bromley Council voted against plans to open Bullers Wood School for Boys, which would have opened in September, despite approving it last year.

The meeting followed the receipt of legal advice received by the council about the need to consider new material planning considerations.

The application, which requested the building of the secondary school on St Hugh’s playing fields, Chislehurst, was initially refused in January 2017, before a subsequent application was accepted in October.

However, following the second application, legal advice was sought after concerns about road safety and traffic were raised.

Disappointed parents claim that the day that inspections highlighted issues surrounding road safety, many roads were closed off for works, which had led to an unusual amount of traffic in the area.

The decision to refuse the plan came less than a month before offers of places were due to be sent out, and hundreds of year six boys in the borough are now facing long journeys to secondary schools.

A march was held on Sunday, January 28, in protest of the decision.

Signs from the march read ‘Say yes to Bullers again.’

Cllr Nicholas Bennett, chairman of the Education, Children and Families select committee, said: “We desperately need this new school for our boys in the north of the borough.

“Keep up the fight, many councillors fully support the proposal”.

Jane Cowie, mother of a son who hoped to attend the school, said: “My son would have walked to Bullers Wood.

“Instead he will now have to leave extremely early to stand any chance of getting on already overcrowded buses.

“Or on the occasions I can, I will drive him; clogging up the roads even further at peak times.”

Nancy Lengthorn, another parent, added: “The DCC was given clear guidance by the Council CEO to ratify the approval they had granted in October. “Councillors were clearly told not to re-hash old ground, and yet we had to listen to untruths and hyperbole about teenage learner drivers.

“Suggestions from one councillor for us to consider sending our children to selective schools were particularly hard to endure.

“We are bereft.”

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Bromley Times visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Bromley Times staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Bromley Times account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest news

Yesterday, 14:57

A man has today, Thursday, May 24, been arrested in connection with the death of Sophie Cavanagh from Bromley.

Yesterday, 11:00

Bromley twins from Cobham Hall Independent School have created their very own escape room in the school’s dungeon, which was described by a member of staff as “the best I’ve done.”

Wed, 16:59

Detectives have launched a murder investigation after the death of a woman who was discovered in a flat in Bromley was deemed suspicious.

Wed, 07:00

The council is offering a £500 reward for information about an abandoned 40ft articulated trailer which was discovered full of dumped rubbish.

Tue, 14:41

To mark the 100th anniversary since the end of the First World War, Bromley’s Burnt Ash Drama Association will be showing three performances of David Haig’s My Boy Jack, based on the true story by Rudyard Kipling.

Tue, 11:00

Kent will have four precious practice days this week to brush up on their white-ball skills before aiming to kick-start their Royal London One-Day Cup campaign for 2018 at The Spitfire Ground, St Lawrence on Friday.

Most read

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Bromley Times e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Bromley Times twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Show Job Lists

Family Notices 24

Local business directory

Our trusted business finder